Re: Studs and a 2wd

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 15:25:25 EDT

Forgot some other stuff when I initially replied.

Last winter, the city of Syracuse, NY had over 190 inches of snow,
including about 35 consecutive days with measurable snowfall. (I'll go out
on a limb here and guess that's more than you get in Vancouver). Yes, I
have 4WD, but when I wasn't using it, I was still doing fine just with 250
pounds of sand in the bed.

With less power and a stick instead of auto, you should be OK as long as
you're careful and you have good tires. Once I switched from the Goodlucks
to the BFGs, I was sitting real pretty. My biggest problem was getting
traction to start or stop moving. You've got better weight balance than I,
and have more power control with the stick.

Remember that if you get studs, you MUST get new tires (either for the
studs or to replace the ones you had studs put into). Can't run studs in
the summer. If you're going to be paying for new tires anyway, you may as
well get good all-around tires that will take care of you, rather than have
to maintain TWO sets.

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com