Best Rust-prevention for bare metal

From: colinwNERC (colinwnerc@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 14:39:09 EDT

DML-
As some of you may have already read ....

I'll probably be installing some Step Boards on my
2001 QC, which requires 3-6 holes to be drilled in the
pinch-weld area under the doors on each side of my
Dak.

After drilling the holes, what's the BEST way to treat
the bare metal before installing the steps?
- if a coat of something AFTER the install (over all
the hardware) even better?

Any suggestions are welcome. We're coming up fast on
the "salt season" here in NJ.
Thanks
Colin W
2001 QC Sport +, black, 4.7