Metal filings in Transmission

From: Car37 (englehart@Sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 11:36:14 EST

I just put my truck back togeather since pulling out the transmission
for a shattered front bearing. I am waiting for the gear selector to
come back from the machine shop, I put a 2in body lift on and am getting
the shift levers lengthened. Anyways, I just need the 5sp selector put
back in. I put all of the oils and fluids back into the truck and
started it up after making sure the transmission was in neutral. The
truck started up fine and ran normal. The transmission seemed to be
good but there were a few odd noises I thought, but was not sure. I
pulled the upper plug out today and it was full of metal. How bad can
this be, the front bearing was shattered and there were pieces in the
oil but it was washed out. I am going to drain the oil out after I get
the shift lever back and go for a short drive to see if I get more or
there are drivability problems. I have not been able to drive my truck
all summer for one reason or another, the truck has been up on the ramps
for to much. I last drove it August 16th since pulling the
transmission. What could the filing be from, the transmission was just
taken apart and looked good. It is a 96 318 with a 5sp 4X4.

--
Shawn Englehart
www.geocities.com/englehrt