Re: ground wire real hot?

From: Woodruff, Jason P (Jason.Woodruff@West.Boeing.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 13:41:41 EST

Humm, curious. 1.) your ground wire shouldn't be red it should be black,
but when you get technical the color doesn't matter (my positive wire is
white). If that is the ground cable someone probably changed it.

If your truck starts and continues to run then you haven't had a
catastrophic failure yet.

Okay, what size is this cable? Your ground cable should be at least as big
as the cable going off the positive side of the battery. If it's smaller
than this, you might be over cooking the wire.

How old is that battery cable? Old cables break down and become more
resistive causing more heat. It wouldn't hurt to replace it. I use gauge,
a little smaller would be okay, but bigger never hurts.

Lastly something might else might be starting to short out in the ignition
system causing too much current while the truck is running.

If this is a second hand truck I'd check out the fuse box right now to make
sure all the right values are in there. If someone's been messing with the
electronics in your truck you want to make sure it's protected.

Jay W