Engine shutdown problems...

From: Tom (mecheng2b@home.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 19:28:53 EST

     I've got a 95 Dak 3.9 5-speed, 2WD and I've been having a problem
throughout the last few months with the engine shutting down
unexpectedly while driving. I still have electrical power, but the
engine quits, will turn over, but won't restart. I'm getting a DTC #12
(lost power to the PCM), and if I get out, pop the hood and smack the
PCM connector it fires right back up (no kidding) and runs great until
it decides to shut down again (sometimes 5 more times that day,
sometimes not for a month).
     Here's what I've done so far: Pulled apart the connector and
checked all the pins (good). Found good voltage on the hot and switched
pins (3 & 32) on the connector. Found good grounds on the connector
(pins 11 & 12). All fuses and breakers are good. Continuity is good on
all power and gound wiring concerning the PCM. I removed the PCM and
checked the pins on the PCM itself , continuity was good on all pins
through to the back of the circuit board.

     I'm thinking it may be time for a new PCM, but I really don't want
to spend 50 bucks to have the dealer tell me that, and all my money went
to tuition this semester so I'd rather not replace the PCM if I don't
have to. If anybody has any advice or suggestions or has seen this
before, please email me off-list.

 Thanks in advance,

             Tom
              mecheng2b@home.com