Re: Is my engine dying? (longish)

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 21:25:22 EST

Bob Tom wrote:

> At 01:59 PM 11/2/01 -0500, you wrote:
> >Any other real cheap, easy stuff I can replace while I'm in there? What about
> >the EGR valve (while we're throwing around 3-letter valve names)?
>
> Dodge stopped using the EGR valve after the '95 Dakota model (I think).

Yeah, Jon straightened me out there.

> >My first thought was the gasket as well, but I didn't see much in the manifold
> >2 weeks ago when I had the TB off.
>
> A couple of years ago just at the end of the track season, I noticed
> that I was using oil abnormally for a few weeks. I looked down into
> the manifold and did not see abnormal moisture there. There were
> no visible signs of oil leaks or vapou anywhere. I even performed
> the belly pan gasket test and compression tests. The disappearing
> oil stopped after about 3 weeks.
>
> It wasn't until after Christmas when we took the manifold off for the
> MPI installation that we saw the belly pan gasket had curved in and
> out in a few places. We figured that it must have sprung a minor leak
> and then gradually resealed itself when I was no longer racing.

So what you're saying is I could have a bad gasket and not be able to diagnose it
w/o pulling the manifold? Wow, there's a sobering thought.

> >I'm at 41K right now. I suppose those O2 sensors might have gotten dirty at
> >Jon's, there was a small amount of crud flying around :). O2 sensors are a
> >little over my "well, let's try it" price but if the other stuff doesn't work
> >out, I'll go for it.
>
> The O2 sensors can be tested with a digital voltmeter.

Big sale at Sears this weekend, I think Andy's buying a new toy :) Are the specs
for the O2 sensor test in the FSM?

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com