Re: Crackshaft Oilseal

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 00:58:38 EST

Crank seal isn't that tough of a job. You'll need basic hand tools, breaker
bar, 32mm socket, and a harmonic balancer puller (bout 30bux) along with
about 1/2 a day's work if you've never done it. Depending on mileage (and
spare time) this would be a good opportunity to service the timing chain...
You can replace the crank seal w/o removing the water pump, alt, a/c, etc..

I found the crank seal to run about 35 bucks or so when I did the cam swap a
year ago...
__________________
         Jon Smith
       Raleigh, NC
'95 CC 318 4x4 auto
   344rwhp/424tq

Well I need a little help here, after my last run of leaks which I got
fixed, it seems the leak bug has hit me again. Was doing some work on the
front of the Dak yesterday and I noticed a little bit of fresh oil on the
ground. HUH? Oh no not again. Look under the truck and up by the crankshaft
was where it was coming from. So my question to you guys is, how hard is
this to replace? I looked through the FSM and it looks somewhat straight
forward, but I am not that mechanically inclined. So perhaps I should let a
shop take a look at this? Also if anyone has had to do this about how much
did it run to get it fixed? Damn there goes my exhaust project =/

-Matt Grose
South Euclid, OH
97 RC 4x4 Sport 3.9L V6
DML Profile: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Gv2394THi1OPQ/