42RE trans. problems. and where to get another

From: John C. Worden (scirocco@powerlink.net)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 15:01:17 EST

I have a '98 Dakota 4x4 with the 3.9 and 42RE auto. I love the truck but wish
I had gotten a 5 speed instead. Here's the run down. It has 93k on it. The
transmission slips when it is up shifting from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes in 1 to
2 (but not regularly like 2 to 3). When I change the filter/fluid the
magnet is
completely covered; originally it was very fine particles, but they seem to be
getting larger. So I realize that the trans. is dying, and called around
for some
options for when it gives up. Here's what I got:
used (30 day warranty-being used you never know) $1k
to have it rebuilt(the guy could only give a ballpark naturally) $1,300 or so
Dodge rebuilt from dealer $1900(aghh, but father-in-law gets better deal so
could be 200-300 lower)
Then I saw this on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=597453271&r=0&t=0
Have any of you heard of these guys? Good or bad.
My other option is to put in a 5 speed, but for all the parts I need I
would be better
off finding a wrecked Dakota, and I don't see many of those around here(Maine).
Anyone have comments on this or solutions if you've been through this before?

John