Had a *great* time in Ocala !

From: hemi@charter.net
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 10:08:23 EST

Just finally got done sorting thru about 750 messages from
when i was gone this weekend, and wanted to let everyone
know about going to the Mopar show in Ocala at Big Daddy's.
The show is held on the property of Don Garlits Drag Racing
Museum, which is also where he lives. Rolled in on Friday
afternoon and it was a beautiful 86 degrees! WOOHOO! It
rained lightly on Friday evening, but Friday night at the
Days Inn was blast.Kinda gave me flashbacks to Topeka, but
with less people, and not so much throwing up, LOL! I met
lots of new people, and hung out with some people I already
knew too, and like *every* Dakota R/T, DML, or any Mopar
event I have attended, it was like you had known them for
years and there were no strangers.
Justin Downey from Atlanta met up with all of us on Friday
night and hung out with us. Saturday, I got up early as was
humanly possible after Friday night's festivities, and
finished clay-barring my truck.We all met up at the show
just down the road and the weather couldn't have been
better. It was about mid-80s and a nice steady breeze all
day.The way they had the show sight set up was nice (my hats
off to the Florida Mopars Association) and we were all in
the same row. On Saturday, what they did is give every
entrant a vote for two vehicles in their class other than
their own vehicle.I liked it, but unlike most of your bigger
Mopar shows, they allowed vehicles in that had Mopar bodies,
but not Mopar engines (and vice-versa). This led to one of
my few complaints of the weekend in that on Saturday, an
older Dodge panel delivery won the truck class and it had a
small-block chevrolet in it.Granted, the truck was very
nice, but to me, if it's a Mopar, it should have a Mopar
engine, just like if it's a Chevy it should have a chavy
engine, and so on.
On Saturday night, we all re-conveened at the Days Inn and
B.S.'d for a while, then went out to strain the nerves of
the staff at the local Cracker Barrell.I was able to figure
out a neat way to defrost the butter after all these years!
I swear they must store that stuff in liquid Nitrogen!We
left the Cracker Barrell, then headed to a local pool hall
for some fun and games.I was kinda worn out from the night
before, and knew I would be driving back to Atlanta right
after the show on Sunday, so I turned in a bit early
compared to everyone else, but I heard about some late-night
lawn manicuring that was done at the Days Inn, unfortunately
instead of a John Deer, the equipment used was described as
Flame Red, hehe.I think someone may have earned a new
nickname over that one. ;)
Sunday was a great day at the show too, although early in
the morning the skies looked crappy. It stayed very overcast
just till awards time at the show when it rained a bit, then
stopped again (typical Florida weather).On Sunday they had
us split up a bit.Stock trucks in one class, and modified in
another.The obvious problem with this, and it always
happens, is that they don't clearly define 'stock'.Even if
they do, is there anyone there that can say with certainty
that your truck is or is not stock? Nope. Anyway, I put mine
in stock, along with most of the people. I think I counted a
total of 15 or 16 R/Ts there on Sunday. I met even more
people, and of course, they were all great people, and had
another great day. This one was a bit easier as I didn't
have to do quite as much cleaning, hehe.I walked the show
grounds and the vendor areas and liked what I saw.
When awards time came, in the stock truck class one R/T won
(a regular cab SY truck similar to mine) third.In the
modified class, R/Ts took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (I think). Two
of these were Shaker trucks, so even more proof that those
things are very well received (and that I will get one one
day, lol!).
All in all it was a great weekend trip, and not too terribly
far from home.I met lots of great people, saw some awesome
Mopars, and had lots of laughs.
For all of you guys at the show, I am terrible with names,
so I appologize for not remembering all of them. I do
remember meeting Mike (Alien R/T), a couple of Bobs, John
Mercedes, and of course, Judy Friar (hehe).One guy that was
there taht I can't remember his name really struck me.He had
a Black Regular Cab and was an older gentleman.He was at the
show, competing and enjoying himself, and he would
periodically take a short break to use his Oxygen to help
him breathe.I was really struck by his determination to get
out and be a part of something, no matter how difficult it
was.My hats off to that man!
The only bad things that happened at the event was #1, some
schmuck going to fast on the grounds on Friday ran over one
of Big Daddy's dogs and killed it (there's one in every
crowd to screw things up) and there was a wind storm early
that week that blew a surplus Jet Fighter that was on a
pedastal display off of the pedastal!
One of the most intriguing things I saw at the show??????

I got a peak at a 2002 Mopar Performance Catalog that John
Mercedes had with him. Looks like Mopar now offers 2.02
valve aluminum heads, but guess what?! They have a unique
rocker arm system and from what I hear, just the rocker arm
kit lists for around $1300!!!

Also in the catalog, on the first page of the 'Performance'
section, there is a picture of a nice black Regular Cab
truck, I think with chrome wheels and either chrome or
silver 'R/T' lettering on the door and the pic was taken at
the 2001 National Meet during our Show & Shine at the Air
Combat Museum. If you were there at the meet, you will be
able to see that it was at that event (the parking lot
gravel), so whoever's truck that is, congrats!!

Thanks to everyone that was at the show on either day, and i
encourage everyone who can to try and make it next year. It
makes for a very nice weekend trip and a last show of the
season.

Jack 3

W Jack Hilton III
Dakota R/T Club Division 2 Rep.