Re: Re: General Question - Parking Brake

From: Paul Macey (pmacey@ans.net)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 14:31:45 EST

Under what conditions are you talking about in re: to using the parking
brake?

When parked (level or on a hill), or when stopped at a light, and using
the parking brake instead of the brakes? (FWIW, with my last 5-speed, I
guess I over used the brakes to save the engine/tranny: when coming up to
a stop light/sign, I would never downshift lower then 3rd from 5th, but
pop it into neutral and 'coast' to the light...no problems doing this for
40K miles prior to me selling my last manual JEEP)

For us auto owners, I'm told there is no issue with not using the parking
brake for awhile, then all of a sudden, to start using it, and having to
worry about it locking up....I was also told when parking on a hill, to
engage the parking brake first, then shift into park, then when starting
out, to shift into drive and then disengage the parking brake...does this
sound right to everyone?

Thanks.