RE: Mobil 1 Vs. Pennzoil

From: Marc W. Grobe (MGrobe@leghorncomputing.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 00:01:13 EST

My own personal opinions on using synthetics are as follows: (note to all
those whom may disagree with me, this actually was intended to entertain
you)

IF the car is new AND I am intending on keeping it longer than my payment
book spans, then it is worth investing in synthetics. (We had our last truck
19 years)

IF the car is new and I am going to trade it in at the first chance I can,
then save your money and use normal motor oil at REGULAR oil change
intervals.

IF the car is used and has low mileage (55,000 miles or less) and I want to
try and keep it for another 100,000+ miles then yes it is worth switching to
synthetics.

IF the car is used and has high mileage (100,000 miles or more) and I want
to try and keep it for another 50,000+ then I wouldn't bother, keep using
what it has been up to this point and ride her out.

The whole 56,000 - 99,999 mile range is the gray area. Normally this is a
slam dunk decision, but what tends to happen is when one switches to
synthetics on high mileage engines is oil leaks that weren't there before
may suddenly appear. Not that they are huge gushers, but they will spot
your driveway. For me this isn't that big of a deal and I can live with
this, but it does drive some people crazy and you should be forewarned of
this possibility.

Just some food for thought, let us know what you decide!

-Marc-
Villa Park, IL
2000 CC 4x4, 4.7L