RE: MAACO...I disagree.

From: Rodney Lewis (rlewis@nicorenergy.com)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 08:46:20 EST

Agreed...you definitely get what you pay for...that's why 'real' body shops
charge $2k. I had my first Jeep painted by Maaco (went for the $299 job as
well) and I brought it to them with all of the bodywork done and everything
stripped off of it that I could remove and still legally drive it to the
shop. Aside from a couple of small glitches which they corrected after a
brief argument with the owner (I happened to have brought an experienced
painter with me to pick up the Jeep which helped my case...even he was
pretty impressed, basically volunteered to drive me over so that he could
laugh at me for using Maaco), they did a very good job and the last time I
saw that Jeep (about 4-5 years after the paint job) it still looked good. I
wouldn't use them for my Durango, but they'll do just fine for my Jeeps
which are just gonna get 'trail rash' anyway. The prep work is tedious &
time consuming, supplies and tools aren't cheap...I don't quite know just
how Maaco turns a decent profit.

-Rodney