Re: online hackers

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 11:43:24 EST

There is not really a big difference between the hardware and software
firewalls (depending on implementation). The hardware versions (Cisco
PIX for example) is just a glorified PC w/Cisco's own OS (IOS) that has
the same kind of rule-based configuration. It does have special ASIC's
that can speed up rule processing but still is based on software. Once
comprimised, it will only let you through faster 8).

The problem is that people like to download little "personal firewalls"
that run under an already vulnerable OS like ANY of Microsoft's
products. Any firewall software running on top of any Microsoft product
is kinda like an oxymoron.

Some hardened versions of Linux and BSDI for example can provide more
protection that what Cisco has to offer.

We have many customers whose systems are comprimised all the time
utilizing a PIX. They run into the same problem as the "personal
firewall" bunch. Easy to understand, easy to install, easy to configure
= easy to comprimise.

Just my $0.02,

Shane

ps - The girl whom I traded a computer for a '93 Dak recently reneged
(sp?) on our deal as I have been attempting to get the title in my name.
She wants to give the computer back and charge me $500 for the truck.
Works for me 8). Especially since I sold the computer yesterday to a guy
close to her for $500. Since I have barely any money in the computer
(about $75). The Dak will still end up costing me next to nothing.