Re: Timing chain question

From: Kevin Reimer (kwreimer@msn.com)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 08:53:26 EST

Tip of the past// Hook up a timing light to the v-6, works on v-8 also.Make
sure the one connector is on # 1 plug wire close to plug, check timing, now
set the connector to the # 6 plug wire, read what it says, how far off is it
in degrees? if more than 4-6 degrees, worn chain. Or if you have access to
the lwr crank pulley, then disconnect battery ground, remove drive belts
(all) grab hold of lwr crank pulley move to the Right by rotation with
hands,until it stops, Doesnt take much effort to move this. Mark edge of
pulley with chalk, or equivalent, mark at 12;00 point, then rotate crank
opposite direction until it stops again, mark at 12;00.how much space do you
have between two marks, Is it 1-1.5 INCHES? If so then this is how much
your timing chain has stretched. time to replace. I would not want no more
than .5 inches between marks. Hope this helps, this is what i have used
throughout my years, as i was taught, and works just fine.I find the crank
pulley rotation more effective. Some of you may think it is strange,but it
does work. Good luck.