Re: Dak not running right

From: steve preston (steve239dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 00:17:40 EST

This is real similar to the problem I had with my 99
V6. Always had the smell, had the fluctuating idle (it
would stall once in a great while because of it), and
had performance that varied from mediocre to terrible.
You could feel quick, repetitive sags in the throttle
response, like a bumpiness. Weird. No attempt to fix
it ever worked. Sometimes they would say it ran fine
for them,other times they thought they saw a problem
and replaced parts to no avail, other times they said
it ran like other V6`s,etc. I believe the problem was
an intermittent sensor somewhere,coupled with crappy
computer programming,and a vehicle designed beyond my
dealer mechanics` ability to understand it,apparently.
(It wasn`t THAT intermittent). So now I have a Dak
that has almost nothing mechanically in common with my
99. And it runs very well,thank God!! Steve P.
P.S. I hope you get your Dak figured out,and I`d like
to know what it was.
--- Gregg Grisham <gg428@aol.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody, I have been kinda off and on here,
> and I feel guilty that
> lately I only come back when I have a problem. Well
> here it is.
>
> It is a 99 dak 2wd, 5spd 5.2
> Mods, K&N GenII, Centerforce clutch, 52mm tb, MPI
> intake, Mopar headers,
> Mbrp cat back, catco cat, Hurst shifter, Hotchkis
> susp, and thats about it
>
> I installed the MPI in November, I had a new cat put
> on in October, and
> the truck was running good through december. towards
> the beginning of Jan,
> I was smelling rotten eggs, and the truck felt
> sluggish, I recently
> replaced the o2 sensor, then took the truck in for
> service. they replaced
> the cat with annother catco, replaced the tstat with
> a stock temp unit
> (had a 180) changed the oil, resealed the
> manifold(it was leaking out the
> back)
>
> Now the truck smells twice as bad, and it
> occasionally "boggs" and
> stutters, on accelertation. they had it on a scope
> and said it is not
> running rich, however it smells like it is. the
> other symptom is that upon
> coming to a stop, the idle drops to about 400, then
> bounces back to 600
> once the truck is stopped.
>
> What could be causing this? do I need an computer
> reprogram? annother
> sensor? HELP!!!! this truck has 63,000 on it now,
> and I put about 500 a
> week on it.
>

> I know there will be somebody here who can help,
> there always is.
> Thanks
> Gregg

http://community.webshots.com/album/14188865ntnFYccyHF

=====
2001 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Sport RC,Flame Red/4.7L V8/45RFE auto/3.92 limited-slip/16" aluminum wheels/Infinity CD-cassette system.