Re: "The Man" is holding me down

From: Donald Mallett (mallett@prepaidlegal.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 12:03:36 EST

> Damnit, I got profiled big time tonight.

As some of you know I'm a independent associate With Pre-Paid Legal
Services® out of Ada OK. I felt I need to share this with the DML after
reading Jay's story. One item that we have is a rider called the "Legal
Shield". Its additional item with our membership for extra $1 a month and
can be had in many states. I could try so tell you about but to make things
clearer and easier I just cut and pasted this from my web site.............

Have you ever been pulled over and wondered if it was due to your race, sex,
or age? What would you do if you were detained by a law enforcement officer
for one of the following:

* An expired driver's license?
* An alleged theft?
* Causing a fatal accident?

Do you know what your rights are if you are detained? What if you found
yourself in this sort of situation at 1 a.m. on a Saturday? Who would you
call?

Now there is one answer to all those questions!

If you have ever found yourself in any of the previous situations, you now
have somewhere to turn. It's our newest benefit, the Legal Shield. As a
Legal Shield member, if detained, present your Legal Shield membership card
to the officer who is detaining you. By showing the card, you make it clear
that you have access to legal representation and that you are requesting to
contact a lawyer immediately.

All you have to do is call the 24 hour, toll free Legal Shield number. You
will contact Pre-Paid Legal Services®, Inc. who will then put you in contact
with your Provider Law Firm so that you can consult with a lawyer about your
detainment. It's that simple.

This service is available for only $1.00 a month as an additional benefit to
your Pre-Paid Legal Family Plan membership. That is a very low cost for the
peace of mind the Legal Shield membership can provide you and your family
members. We all know that we have rights, and now, if ever faced with
detainment, you know who to call to make sure your rights are represented.

Here's what you need to do:
Most law enforcement officers are conscientious and are devoted to
protecting your rights rather than abusing them. If you are stopped or
detained by a law enforcement or police officer, we suggest taking the
following precautions:

* If asked, give the officer your name, address, Social Security number, and
destination in a cooperative way.
* Present your Legal Shield card in a respectful and courteous manner.
* If you are arrested or detained, call the 24-hour, toll-free number on
your Legal Shield card.

Remember . . .
The Legal Shield membership will not apply in situations involving:

* Any matter in which the member is alleged to be under the influence of or
impaired by alcohol, intoxicants, controlled substances, chemicals or
medicines.
* Alleged domestic violence or alleged stalking.
* Outstanding warrants.
* Assistance in making, posting, or obtaining bond, bail, or other security
required for release.

The benefits of the Legal Shield membership are subject to conditions
imposed by the detaining authority, which may not allow for your Provider
Lawyer to communicate with you on an immediate basis.

To become a member or for more info please click here
http://www.prepaidlegal.com/info/mallett
or call me at 817 971-7052.

I'll make a donation* to the DML for each membership sold to DML Members! I
hope I'm not stepping out of bounds here by posting this if so I apologize.

* with each membership sold in most states and Canada.

--

Donald Mallett Director Independent Associate 817 847-9497 Office 817 791-7052 Cell *---You have no rights if you don't know your rights...---* http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/mallett