Re: towing trailer

From: KenCo (kenco.fish@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 21:21:30 EST

dakota wrote:

> Hello,
> I am towing a 25 ft 3700 lb travel trailer with my 97 4x4 318. I checked
> what gears I have in the back and my glove box says 3.5 (not 3.55). The
> truck seems to loose power
> in the hills, is there a better gearing to have for towing? I am thinking
> of getting a k&n filter charger and a new performance TB. Would these
> help or hurt me? I am looking for more power towing, any ideas? I would
> rather modify my Dakota than buy a new truck.
> Thanks.
> John

gear changing = big $$$$
the diff. between a 3.5 and 3.55 is not worth it.
a 3.5 to a 4.11+ would make a noticable diff.

remember to replace speedo gear for any rear gear
changes OR drastic tire size changes.

lower # = speed 3.5 or less some power via auto trans slippage
and better top speed.
higher # = pulling powwer 4.0+ manual trans, better pulling power,
usually has OD 5th gear.

a lower profile tire can do the same as a .5+ increase
in gearing. i.e. 3.5 to 4.0
tall tires = more speed, less power.
low tires = power but slower top end.

measure circumference of existing tire,
measure circ. of a lower profile tire,
do the math for % reduction of linear distance
of 1 revolution.

i.e. a 75 series to a 50 series would be a good
reduction in linear travel for power BUT top end
will be less.

hopefully this will make sense to you ;)

--
http://www.kencofish.com  401-781-9642

make a no-cost donation to save the rain forrests here http://rainforest.care2.com/welcome?w=981743017

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the sending of this contaminant free message We do concede that a signicant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.