Re: 2wd to 4wd conversion?

From: Mike Styer (m_styer@go.com)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 19:40:17 EST

I am leaning towards the straight axle conversion myself. True IFS would be more confortable on and off road, and it would probably do everything I ever ask of it, but unless a wrecked 4wd Dak falls onto a trailer behind my Dakota, the straight axle conversion appears to be the easiest means of making my 2wd a 4wd.

So far the majority of Dakota straight axle conversions have been using fullsize Bronco front and rear suspension. I've worked with those before and am somewhat familiar with them.

With 216,000 miles, my truck doesn't have any resale value anyway,even with a new engine. Besides, my family drives a car until it is dead. Then we resurrect it if we can. Then we kill it again. I've already put in a newer engine. So at this point, my daily driver is the project vehicle :)

Naturally, I am going to wait to I turbocharge, or 4wd, or any other major project I dream up until I have another vehicle so I am not depending on the Dakota.

Mike S.
"Spend money in your head before you spend money out of your wallet."