Re: RE: 32 x 11.50 tires on Gen III

From: andylevy@yahoo.com
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 23:08:14 EST

John, do you have a hitch installed, and if so, what brand? I put on a Putnam hitch. Its flanges extend further down the frame than the Mopar, and I think the receiver box pushes farther under the truck as well - my stock 31x10.5 spare barely fits inside the confines of it. I have to jiggle it some to get it into place when cranking it up. I'm about 90% sure a 33" won't fit in that area, and I'm not too confident about making a 32" fit.

In an *emergency* situation, you can run with a mismatched spare. At the DML BBQ 2000, The Adam Blaster sliced a nice hole in his sidewall and limped back to the barn with the factory spare (he had upgraded to 32x11.5 on the corners). With the open front diff, it wasn't as critical a problem. As we couldn't find a tire shop open on Sunday of the July 4th weekend, he borrowed Jason & Norah's 31" spare and drove 5+ hours home to Windsor with 31s in front and 32s in back - in 2WD, of course.