Re: Gen 1 Seat Swap?

From: Mike Styer (m_styer@go.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 16:21:41 EST

Yup, I intalled a '98 split bench to replace my very worn '93 split bench seat.

The the seat brackets that bolt to the floor are the same width & configuration as the Gen2, but they are 3" narrower than the Gen2. What I did is remove the bracket from the Gen3 seats and use the ones from my original seats. To do this, I used pieces of 1/4" steel as adaptors (2 per seat).

When I put everything together I found out I needed 1/2" more height in the seats to accomodate the Gen2 style track adjustment lever. On the Gen2s, the lever pulls a wire up into the seat. where on the Gen3's the lever pushes downs into the track. So I made some 1/2 spacers from some hollow steel bed frame rails.

I did all this work in the tiny kitchen of my apartment at the time. All in all it took about 6 hours using hand tools and a drill. I'm sure someone could use the Gen3 track adjustment lever and the original brackets, but they would need to fabricate a longer lever, and I didn't have those tools.

If you have any questions, email me. And here's a picture of what mine look like now (I'll try to take some more technical pics next weekend when I'm home for spring break):

http://www.geocities.com/geek_farm/photos/dakseats.jpg

Mike S.
www.geocities.com/geek_farm