Re: Gibson headers - not worth it

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 10:12:43 EST

B1LLYW@aol.com wrote:
: In a message dated 2/24/02 8:17:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, kwreimer@msn.com
: writes:

: << Yeah, in the new Truckin magazine for the month of April 2002, On page 41,
: lower left corner is a nice lookin pic of the headers and they are SWEET..
: 1-1/2" MANDREL BENT TUBING, HARDWARE INCL,HEAVY DUTY FLANGES AND GASKETS.
: The magazine will set ya back 5.00. >>

: I installed Gibson headers on the Ram. I had already done intake and catback
: and decided to do headers to free up the exhaust side a little more. I
: bought the stainless headers and had them Jet Hot coated to keep temps down.

: Hands down, the Gibson headers were the single biggest waste of money of any
: mod. I spent about $800 for the headers, coating, and installation. I
: noticed NO difference whatsoever in power. The butt dyno read 0 increase.
: No difference in throttle response, nada, zip.

: I wouldn't waste my money on headers unless you are putting on a blower,
: turbo, etc. or you are building a hi-po motor that needs it. You'll never
: see a benefit where most of your mods are your basic bolt-on stuff. This is
: IMHO, of course.

: Bill White - http://www.moparforme.com

    This has been my experience as well. Granted, I haven't tried a
tri-Y; my truck got the JBA shorties as part of a group buy. I didn't
notice any difference when I bolted them on. The Magnum exhaust manifolds
are actually a pretty good design, as manifolds go. Headers are pretty
expensive, and IMHO, the power increase with the shorty style on our trucks
doesn't justify the cost. (Again, I haven't tried the tri-y's so they may
be different.) (Please note that I already had a 2.5" to 3" mandrel bent
Y pipe on my truck before the headers, so it wasn't just a case of the
stock Y pipe restricting the ability of the headers.)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'