Re: Transfer Case Options

From: DML (gwbower@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 20:20:33 EST

 I went for the same T-case for basically the same reasons, gas mileage
being the most important.
You should be aware that the 'shifter' is a rotary switch on the dashboard,
not a floor shifter(as of 2000 I think).At first I was warry of the shift
mecanism but have gotten to trust it.
So far after 3550 miles I am reasonably happy with it. there are times that
I think I might have liked the full time 4 wheel drive, but not very often.
Mostly when I am on roads where I do not want to be in 4 wheel, but run into
an occasional patch of ice or snow. I have been driving in Michigan winters
for 20 some years with only 2 wheeldrive , so it is really not a big
problem.

At any rate I am sure I will be happy for my choice during summer months
when I can appreciate th better gas milage and only use the 4 wheel drive
occasionally.

<B1LLYW@aol.com> wrote in message news:133.9f0d6dc.29abc240@aol.com...
> I probably should have asked this before I ordered my new Dak. I looked
at
> two transfer cases available on the Dakota. The standard transfer case is
> the NV233, which is your traditional floor mounted case and gives you the
> option of 2wd hi, 4hi, or 4lo. The optional NV244, which gives a choice
of
> full time 4wd, 4hi, or 4lo. It is actuated by an electronic knob in the
> dash. I went for the NV233 for a several reasons.
>
> It seems like a simple mechanism which will be less prone to failure. I'm
> used to having the floor mounted stick to shift in and out of 4wd. I
didn't
> want full-time 4wd - because of increased wear on the 4wd system and
> increased drag on the driveline decreasing performance and fuel economy.
And