Transfer Case Options

From: Jpgross@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 20:35:51 EST

This is a bit of a test since I just joined the DML. I own an '01 CC 4.7
SLT+ AWD ABS LSD. I also own a '99 Jeep GC with the Quad Drive and Subaru
Legacy with it's AWD system. As you can see I am a believer in AWD. Not so
much from the off road capability but from the safety and performance
standpoint. In the pacific northwest we have a wide variety of road
conditions that can change rapidly. I have been generally pleased with the
AWD vehicles that I have and they track well whether I hit large puddles on
the highway or head over on of the many Cascade passes with snow and ice. I
consider the capability much like insurance. You are paying extra until you
really need it. With respect to the thread about Transfer Cases I have to
say I am very pleased with the Dakota version. In AWD mode it is just an
open differential (in function) in the TC but the performance is great on the
hiway. Bonus, I can do full throttle launches with the 4.7 and ALL power
goes to motion rather than smoke. As others have indicated, all the parts
are in motion whether you have part-time or AWD. My on hiway fuel economy is
20+ around town is 16+...........unless I start having fun. I have had other
pickups with part time systems and so far this is far and away the best. My
advice with many years experience with various 4 wheel drive systems is get
the AWD.

JP