erratic oil pressure 88 dakota 4WD 3.9L V6

From: joe@dokes.com
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 21:44:56 EST

After 210,000 miles on this engine with no major work i.e top end
rebuilds, etc I took The groups advice and replaced the timing chain.

The origional problem was no power. Well I have lots of power now but
this erratic oil pressure problem is bad news.
For the last 100,000 miles or so you can be driving down the road at
full speed then no oil pressure , zero! In the past it would always
come right back up to pressure again within a few seconds, but now it
losses it untill you turn the engine off, wait a minuite or so then
start the engine.I removed the oil sending unit and installed a
mechanical oil pressure gauge. It confirmed loss of pressure and not a
ciricuit problem.
The mechanical oil pressure gauge shows about 30 when then engine is
warm about 60 when cold.The sudden loss of pressure is more common on
a warm motor but I have seen the problem on a cold start at 15 below
zero. I left side of the motor appears to have been suffering from a
major oil leak for a long time but could just be related to a leaky
valve cover, dont know for sure.
Any Thoughts?