Re: RE: pinging and arcing observations

From: KenCo (kenco.fish@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 12:21:14 EST

default wrote:

> Ronald Wong wrote:
>
> > The stock gap for your plugs should be .040 to get the most complete burn
> > within your cylinder.
>
> Why would that gap cause a more complete burn? The way I understand it, it
> takes more potential to bridge a larger gap, so the spark's hotter. I think the
> MSD wires have way less resistance than the stock ones, the arcs to the block
> are obviously way hotter/louder than stock, so isn't the spark also hotter
> because of the wires? My theory is the smaller gap (cooler spark) and the wires
> (hotter) kinda cancel each other out, with the advantage that it doesn't arc to
> the block. I'm really just guessing, seems to work.

installing plugs so the open gap is facing the center of
combustion chamber will give best burn, a lgr. gap works only
w/ high output coils.

mark the body of the plug w/ a magic marker where the
ground lug comes from the threads. install plug and check if
gap lug is to outside (good) or to inside (not as good) of the
combustion chamber.
keep trying another plug until open part of gap is facing
the center of the cyl. combustion area.

this also helps to cool the electrode better w/ intake stroke.
w/ real Hemi's just face open part to intake valve.

this wont apply to center fire or retracted gap type plugs.

--
http://www.kencofish.com  401-781-9642

make a no-cost donation to save the rain forrests here http://rainforest.care2.com/welcome?w=981743017

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the sending of this contaminant free message We do concede that a signicant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.