Re: Mopar Performance Distrubutor vs. PCM

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 21:36:51 EST

Actually it is the PCM that controls the injectors. The distributor just lets
the PCM know when cyl #1 is sequenced for injection. The camshaft position
sensor is located there and the PCM will not start the injection sequence
without that signal. Other than that function, the dizzy also distributes the
spark originating from a single coil to each of the individual cylinders and
drives the oil pump just like conventional distributors.

Now - if you replaced the throttle body w/a carburetor, then it would work
because you will have replaced the spark and fuel delivery mechanisms. Of
course, then your gauges wouldn't all work due to lack of proper signals (tach
for example).

Latr,

Shane