Aftermarket Cat & Performance?

From: William H. Hiatt III (william@hiatt.net)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 00:58:38 EST

I'm looking for more performance out of my 4.7L. I currently have:
Intense Performance 4" Z-Tube, Flometrics 70MM TB, Mike Leach PCM, and
3" IN, 2x2.25" OUT Magnaflow exhaust. I've been thinking about the
following:

1) Would adding an high-flow aftermarket cat by replacing the stock cat
help? Which one should I get? How much? What size? If so, how much HP/TQ
gains should I expect? I know, a shop can't "legally replace" the cat
right now, because nothing is wrong, but I can't help it if a a big
piece of debri from the road *happens* to hit my cat!

2) I've been thinking electric fans. But with some of the heat in
California summers, and traffic, I don't know if this is a good idea or
not. I know I should get around 10-15HP just from this, and it seems
like it'd be a good kick in the pants. Is this a good idea? Should I
change to a 180 degree t-stat at the same time?

3) What are some other things I can do to improve my overall
performance?

Thanks!
william