Re: Mopar Performance Distributor vs. PCM

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 14:57:00 EST

My initial impression would be "no" as the MP electronic distributor has
a ring/stator w/eight little blades that trigger a pickup/sensor to
signal the MP orange/silver/black electronic control module to provide
the proper input voltage and dwell to the coil for firing each
cylinder. As opposed to this - the camshaft position sensor uses a
solid ring w/a single window used to send a "#1 sequenced for firing"
signal to the PCM for its fueling and ignition events. The two
technologies share the same dist shaft in the same area and thats why I
say "no". I wouldn't want to say it "can't" be done though (that words
not in my vocabulary 8) but would just be extremely difficult.

Of course, you could just replace the PCM as far as driving the
injectors also. My $100 MegaSquirt controller would do it w/no problems
(see http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html ).

Latr,

Shane