Re: Why Gen II?

From: mrdancer (mrdancer2@cox.your.underwear.net)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 11:27:07 EST

<B1LLYW@aol.com> wrote in message news:17d.4c15c9a.29bb7b5b@aol.com...
> In a message dated 3/9/02 9:26:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jndneff@texas.net
> writes:
>
> << The majority of the people feel the 87-91 trucks and 92-96 are
different
> enough to call them different generations. It makes a difference when
> someone is looking for some of the front end body or engine parts >>
>
> IMHO, the only reason "Gen II" trucks are referred to as Gen II is because
> their owners have an inferiority complex. They're stuck with the boxy
> styling of the old trucks but they've got the motors from 97 and up
trucks.
> So they, call them Gen II in order to come up with their own identity when
> all they are is the same truck with a new drivetrain.
>
> All the 92-96 trucks were was a stopgap. Chrysler had all their design
> effort in trucks focuses on the new Ram so they updated the front clip and
> dropped bigger motors in. But they were still basically the same trucks.
> Good trucks, but the same.

Well, if you have a need for performance, the GenII Daks hold the edge over
the GenI and GenIII trucks. They have the engine power of the newer Daks,
but have the lightweight body of the older Daks, leading to a superior
power-to-weight ratio. The fastest Daks, save for the R/T's (and that's
iffy), were the '92 models that had a standard cab, short bed, and the
hot-cammed V8. DC tamed down the cam in subsequent years. The GenIII
trucks added several hundred pounds of weight and a much larger frontal area
for poorer aerodynamics. Although style is a subjective matter, I feel the
GenIII trucks look (and handle) better, but you do take a performance hit
with them.

--
Remove .your.underwear to reply