Re: 4.7 Torque?

From: KenCo (kenco.fish@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 23:51:52 EST

Jayson Woodruff wrote:

> 1. From what I've heard 4.7s are air starved to begin with.

then the manifolds would need to be reworked also.
putting a vacuum gauge on the intake manifold can
tell you if its starving for air.
it will constantly be low at high speeds and cruising.

> 2. I don't know what year your stuck in, but todays cars are fuel
> injected. Carberator logic has little relevance. The computer controls
> fuel supply to make good ratios.

LOL,im not stuck in any yr. as ive rebuilt and worked
on more injection sys. than carbs., including the orig.
Bosch "Luft" sys's. on the euro cars in early 70's :)

my example was in fact, right on.
injectors are rated at X mm/3 of fuel passed through
per min. and most injectors have an actual "jet" inside
regulating the flow.
a carb. jet is rated same way.
the same "sizing" tool is used to check both for the
actual orifice size.

so, adding more air "volume" wont do anything as the fuel
is still a "constant".

next, the computer can only compensate to whatever the full fuel
flow for the injector that is actually in the engine.
thats why I suggested shaving the springs, this would give a
slightly longer open time (easier pull) and trick it into
giving more fuel. kinda like a longer duration cam lobe.

another possibility is to slightly increase the fuel rail pressure
but dont go overboard as you can pop a line and catch fire. :(

p.s.
I thought about this also earlier,
injectors from a same Cu.In. engine, even if in a car, w/ a turbo
should be rated at a higher fuel flow and probably give you all the
power you could ever want and actually make decent HP increases.

if anyone has an old injector/s laying around and would send it to
me, i'll figure out what needs to be resized to get you more fuel.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold, 401-781-9642

make a no-cost donation to save the rain forrests here http://rainforest.care2.com/welcome?w=981743017

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the sending of this contaminant free message We do concede that a signicant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.