Re: Changing transfer case fluids

From: KenCo (kenco.fish@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 14:21:20 EST

Wes Weems wrote:

> Seeing as I've never done in it in the 20k miles I've owned my truck(now
> 74,000mi), I decided to change the fluid (if its necessary) and was
> wondering if you all had any pointers/tips/tricks to doing it right? I
> havent looked at my FSM regarding that stuff yet... but I imagine its the
> pull the drain plug, drain, plug the drain hole, then re-fill wit approved
> lubricant?
>
> What kinda lube does it take? Gear oil etc?
>
> Wes

just drive it around to heat up the fluid and it drains easier.

they usually take Dextron II/III ATF (even on manual trans.).

while the fill plug is out you can test the chain by sticking
a finger in there and seeing if its semi taught, 1/2" deflection
I believe is allowed. if its really loose then plan on replacing
it soon. the chain follows top and bottom across the 2 sprocket
covers.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold, 401-781-9642

make a no-cost donation to save the rain forrests here http://rainforest.care2.com/welcome?w=981743017

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the sending of this contaminant free message We do concede that a signicant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.