Re[2]: Re:DML:4wd on dry road, why not?

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 12:12:17 EST

There is no such thing as "true" 4wd when it come to our stock rigs. The
choices break down to part-time or full-time 4wd for us.

The problem with running a part-time system on dry pavement is the torque
provided to the two axles. Without slippage (dirt, gravel, mud, snow, etc.)
you'll bind up the driveline, put a lot of pressure/stress on the T-Case and,
thereby, be asking for trouble down the road (pun intended).

If you're curious and need to feel/hear this, engage your part-time system and
try to turn (SLOWLY) in the parking lot... I really, really don't recommend
this but if ya' gotta' know you'll get the idea when your rig starts bucking and
grumbling.
Tom