RE: Is this a dumb idea?

From: Tom \ (prodog@swbell.net)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 17:20:42 EST

Jason,

Research and seat time are the two most important ways to get faster...

I used to autocross, myself. Learning how to read the car and tell what
it is doing in respect to handling are important when trying to make the
vehicle handle better. That takes research and seat time.

I will tell you one of my methods for autocrossing success:

First run (Technique Run)- Drive it as smoothly as possible, making sure
to take the turns at the correct apexes. (this should be your slowest
run)

Second run (Speed Run)- now that you know how you want to take the
course, run this one as fast as possible, pushing the vehicle to it's
limits. (Balls to the wall!)

Third run (Knowledge Run)- Now, put together what you learned in the
first run and second run and drive as fast as you can while keeping it
smooth and hitting all the apexes.

This method worked very well for me... Placed 2nd in my very first
divisional, and got 4 1st place finishes in regionals.

Other important little things:

The smoother you are, the faster you are... scrubbing off speed is
bad...

The less you have to turn the steering wheel the better... (goes back to
the same reason as smoothness)

Later,
Tom "Slick"