Re: Is this a dumb idea?

From: Jayson Woodruff (woodrufj@cox.net)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 23:40:05 EST

Please don't call me "son", I don't appreciate the condescending nature, only my
father can get away with that.. Now my question is about down force, not autoXing
seat time. I said 100lbs at 40mph (not 40lbs). The "Wild Ass" part of my
calculation doesn't take spring rates and moments (from the axle?). I can sorta
see where a rotational moment could change the #'s (a little), but I don't see
where spring rates would some into it (force has got to be equal on both sides of
the spring). It's a calculation of wind speed, air density and tail gate angle.
The result is force in the downward direction on the tail gate hinges, there's
also obviously force in the reward direction too, but I didn't mention it.

I got the tail gate fabbed up now. I used some turn buckle things sorta like
TonyC mentioned. There is eye bolts on each end of the turnbuckle. One end is
bolted to the gate latching points of the bed (and spaced out a little) and the
other is bolted where the rope ties to the gate. The ones I used might be a
little big for the application. I can get an angle of about 60 to 0deg (0 is gate
completely open). I could get a steeper angle if I used a smaller turnbuckle.
I'll post up pictures when I get around to it.

Jay W