4.7 and Exhaust Tone

From: Paul Macey (pmacey@ans.net)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 09:31:05 EST

Got a 2001 4.7 and based on responses from Flowmaster Tech Line, went with
their second best flowing muffler (better HP/TQ gains according to FM)
that is a compromise between sound and power (their best flowing muffler
would have been quieter)

Now that I'm used to the 'power', I'd like to deepen the exhaust
note...have single In/Dual out 2.5 inch mandrell bent pipes to 3 inch
angle cut tips.

My muffler guy (has something to gain) says going to 4 inch tips won't
change the sound.

Flowmaster (doesn't sell tips, has nothing to gain), says YES, increase
the tips to 4 inches and I'll get a deeper tone.

Looking for some real world experience: Who has changed their tips from 3
to 4 inches, and did your exhaust note deepen?

(When it's all said and done, swapping out for a deeper sounding FM
muffler (but having the possibility of losing some HP/TQ), could be just a little
more money -vs- buying quality tips and replacing the existing ones)

Thanks in advance...