RE: now: truck plug was:Spark Plugs; Questions and Comments

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 09:24:15 EST

Try this:

Take a set of Champion Plugs (Truck or regular) and a set of
Autolites...measure the resistance from tip to center electrode and
note the variance between plugs. I had a person contact me with his
findings and the Champion's were all about 15-20% in variance between
each other...the Autolites were about 2-5%. I didn't quite believe it
so I tried it myself...the Autolites were within 2-5% and the Truck
Plugs (picked up from local parts house) were more than 10-15% in
variance (at minimum). This tells me that the plugs are not built under
stringent quality checks like the Autolites. (Yes...I checked a set of
AC Delco's as well...they're also within 2-5%.)

Personally, I ran the Truck Plugs in my '97 V6 (before any serious
modifications) and they ran fine for about the first month. Then,
performance started to lag a bit so I pulled them out and put the
Autolites in...performance came back. I've even tried them in my wife's
'94 Jeep GC (4.0L) and found similar results as well (she runs AC "Rapid
Fires").

While the Champions are by no means worse than the stock plugs...there
is some QC issues with their plugs even in the higher grade line (Truck
Plugs).

That's my 2-cents worth.

- Bernd