Re: Ditch The Cats?

From: MAGNUM S/T (kevinhoegen@email.com)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 18:48:39 EST

I thought I read a thread way back that said the GenIIIs will pass
emissions...even without the CAT...specifically a gutted CAT.

Anyone with some experience here...I've been thinking that if my CAT goes
again....I'll simply gut it instead of spending the big money...unless Joe
Inspection says I gotta :)
<Pukeloser@aol.com> wrote in message news:51.1b117009.29cc49e8@aol.com...

> I am running a single 3" exhaust with no cat. This would be similar in
flow
> to a dual 2.5" setup. I'm running a gibson flow-through muffler. I can
tell
> you it is loud. If you use chambered mufflers it shouldn't be nearly as
loud
> and should flow more than enough for any mods you have or plan on having.
> You might lose a little torque which would not be given back in horsepower
> unless you have extensive mods. The only other consuderation is if you
have
> to take emissions tests because you'll fail almost certainly. As far as
fuel
> economy it shouldn't change much, but you'll have to do something to trick
> the downstream O2 sensor if it is a 1996 or newer vehicle.
>
> John S
>
> 95 cc 5.2 auto, transgo shift kit, 4.10 gears, auburn LSD, superior axles,
MP
> PCM, DT headers, Gibson exhaust (3" from headers back, no cat) MSD digi6+
> ignition, MSD HVC coil, MSD 8.5 wires, HD cap&rotor, autolite 3923's, K&N
> X-stream filter (14x3.5), 180 stat, 1 quart oil filter (Trans-dapt
> relocated), Hughes stage II TB and intake manifold, Hughes 1418 cam,
Hughes