Changing rear & front diffy fluids on a 4x4

From: jay & dana (jay&dana@telus.net)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 19:33:28 EST

2 questions for those of you that have a 97 4x4 (318, 5 speed) that have
done this before.
I'm not use to the rubber plugs in the pumpkins we have now, but I noticed
on my 97 that the front differential has a plug that seems more flush ( or
flat ) to the casing than the rear one. When replacing these which I plan
to do when replacing the fluids with Redline, are they the same piece or
part # for both? (8.25 rear)
Second question, my manual says the rear differential should be filled to
1/4" below bottom of filler hole and the front differential to 3/4" below
bottom of filler hole. Is this really important? Why can't you just refill
until the fluid stops leaking out then plug it up? If they are slightly
overfilled there is no seals to blow are there?
It is advisable to use new rubber plugs when replacing fluids, isn't it, or
can I still use the original ones?

Thanks in advance for any responses and advice,
Jay