re: change water pump on 5.2

From: victor.williams@byers.com
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 00:00:24 EST

- --- "Suter, Rick" <RSuter@bizfon.com> wrote:

> Anyone had to change a waterpump on a '99 5.2l with air? How much had to
be removed to get to >it? AC?

Don't know if the fan mounts the same as my '95 ( maxcool ) but I picked up
a fan clutch tool at NAPA to hold the pully still while I removed the fan.
It came with a tool for that 34mm(?) big fan nut and a tool to grab the
bolt heads on the pully. That made the job a lot easier but costs a bit.
Now I hear that AutoZone rent specialty tools.

The new pump I put on had a pressed on pully so I had to fabricate a "pin"
wrench to hold it still to tighten the fan nut.
I took a 1" x 2' steel bar threaded with small hardened bolts that just fit
in the holes in the pully - had to grind out an area to clear the big nut.

If you got lots of miles, change the fan clutch and bypass hose too.
I just pulled the radiator,lift up the AC and Alt mounts out of the way.
Not too hard. Get a FSM or Haynes book.

Victor Williams / Marietta,GA
'95 Dak,CC,5sp,5.2L,Jacobs Ign,Jardine catback,K&N, 216k miles