Re: stereo install ???

From: Chuck Robbins (intense99dak@cox.net)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 07:33:24 EST

Replacing the stereo on your Dakota is very simple and is basically
tool-less except for a 13mm (I think) socket and a solder gun for the wiring
harness. To remove the factory stereo, gently, but firmly pull off the dash
surround (pictures seen at http://www.intense99dak.com/gauges2.htm) and undo
the four bolts holding the stock stereo in.

At this point, you'll need to connect the new wiring harness to the stock
harness as well as install the face plate adapter if you're using a single
Din head unit. Installing the new stereo is a reverse of removing the
stocker and is very easy.

> any tips, things to watch out for, etc....

The only thing to watch out for is be sure to buy oversized 6.5 speakers for
the front. If you have regular 6.5" speakers you'll need some sort of
adapter plate. I made one out of 3/4" plywood and caulked it to the door
metal.

> should I bite the bullet and replace the stock speakers and run new
speaker
> wires to them while I'm at it?? ( tips for removing panels too pls.)

If you're planning on using an amp, then yes it's a good idea to upgrade the
speaker wires while you have the door panels off. The worst part of running
new speaker wires is feeding them through the door grommet. You'll probably
need to make a small hole once you pull the kick panel off (only two tabs
hold them in place) and you'll want to disconnect the rubber tube from the
cab so you can see what you're doing. There is a stock stereo connector that
will be in the way inside the rubber tube, but there is enough room to get
the wire past it.

> my new deck has pre-outs but I won't be using them for the stock speakers,
> when I add my amp and thunderforms, to the rear RCA outputs from the deck,
> will sound still come from the rear speaker wires?

If you have the rear speakers wired to the head unit, then yes sound will
come out of them. My configuration is RCA's from the head unit to the amp
for the front speakers and subs. The front speakers and subs are driven off
the amp while the rear speakers are driven off the head unit.

> some pics of daks during installs would be great, and url's to tips....

Probe around my site under interior mods. I have a bunch of pics and
how-to's with panel removal and what-not.

--
Chuck Robbins
'99 Dakota Sport