Fw: Transmission Problems--HELP!

From: Michael Meyerhoff (mike@mypants.org)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 16:30:02 EST

Hey, unfortunately we are in the same boat. My 92 V6 has been slipping for
a couple of months now. I had the tranny rebuilt right after I got the
truck over 6 years/100k ago due to the ovedrive dying. I was 17 at the
time and didn't know much about cars. The place we took it seemed somewhat
shady, but it worked right and cost ~$1600. Now its slipping. I recently
dropped the valve body and tightened the bands, replaced fluid and filter
and put in a Transgo kit. I was hoping it would top the slip, but it
didn't. I also had an VERY large amount of fine shaving in the pan. So I
think the friction material is plumb wore out.

Since I too, am very attached to my truck I've been looking at alternatives:

cheapist to date: http://www.phoenixhardparts.com sells dakota trannys on
ebay. I emailed some people who bought trannies 1+years ago from them and
they seem to work well. There price is ~$800 /w rebuilt torque converter
(6month war.). They can also install a shift kit, which I reccomend you
have done (probably ~$200). I would also reccomend not using a rebuilt tc,
get a new one. The extra cost could save you a ton down the road.

most expensive to date: http://www.levelten.com/ sells a complete RH42 for
$2500 without torque converter. But it is guarneteed for 1 year at up to
500hp/500ft-lbs. Thats a stout price for a stout tranny, How many kidneys
do you need to live ;)

local rebuild: After talking to several shops I choose the one I felt was
most reputable. They said thier dakota rebuilds (w/new tc) were running
from $1600 to $2100. All thier rebuilds get a shift kit for reliablity.

I'm going in person to have a talk with local shop to see what they have to
say. I plan to get my truck into the 300+hp range in the next 2 years so I
want it done right with the best components.

While I don't think its too difficult to change out a complete tranny,
places like phoenixhp won't warrentee it unless its done by a professional.
Good luck and email me if you have any other questions
mm