Another Dakota victim to road wars...

From: DRD892@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 17:40:27 EDT

After 104,000 miles without a scratch, I got smacked in the rear yesterday
on the way home from work.

Cause, inattentive drivers on busy 4-lane divided road. I was in the left
lane.
A vehicle pulled out of a crossover without looking causing the Dodge Van
in front of me is stop quickly. I was able to stop without a problem and
without
leaving my tires smoking. Unfortunately, the Ford Focus behind me was
following too close and could not stop. The large Buick behind the Focus
didn't even try to stop. The Focus is now somewhat shorter than it used to
be.
The Buick is minus the entire front end with hood folded back into the
windshield.

The front bumper of the Focus went under my Dakota and my rear bumper
took out his grill, radiator, fan, various hoses and miscellaneous parts, the
hood
and even the wipers. The Buick made quick work of the Ford's rear end.

My Dakota suffered the following damage:
Scratched and slightly bent rear bumper.
The twin Stainless Steel Exhaust tips (which punched holes in the Focus)
Snapped the welded exhaust bracket hangers
Collapsed the left exhaust pipe
Smashed the top of the left rear shock
Broke several welds in the exhaust system

There was no body damage to my Dakota. I guess I came out the winner in
this contest.

I will need to remove and repaint my rear bumper and replace the rear shocks
and the Flowmaster Cat Back System. Should be good as new.

Thankfully, no one was hurt in any of the vehicles. Although I did
contemplate
murder and mayhem, I kept my temper in check and was polite through the
process. Waited until I got home, then blew my cork. Too bad for the cat.

David R.
Sterling Heights
Michigan
'97 Dakota Club 5.2 (slightly screwed up)