Fw: MP PCM & Jet Stage II (and other ramblings)

From: Mike Gibbons (mjgibbons@prodigy.net)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 02:21:24 EDT

A couple weeks ago, someone posted about using the MP PCM and Jet together.
As I had recently upgraded to the MP PCM and had my old Jet Stage II lying
useless in a drawer, I thought, 'what the hey?'. I am very pleased to report
the two are now mated up and getting along very well. While I could usually
get away with regular gas with the Jet alone, I am now forced to use premium
with the two together. I do experience a little knock from time to time but
it's nothing detrimental (91 octane is the highest available here in
Wichita). Throttle response is excellent, better than it's ever been! Part
throttle torque is very good and power up to the 6K limit is great. Overall,
I'm very pleased and would recommend this combo to anyone who had the
hardware lying around.

On a sadder note, after almost making my third anniversary with the Dak, I
have just tonight, had my first fender bender (not even a door ding up to
this point). While backing out of a spot at the mall, I failed to notice the
fire hydrant and three small posts behind me. One post went up under the
rear bumper and the Lt. rear quarter panel. It's small and not even
noticeable (except to me, of course). Luckily, the damage is on the bottom
and not up on the side. The corner of the plastic bumper trim was nicked and
knocked loose, but still sits flush.

Also, from the 'learn from my mistakes' folder. If you have a problem with
pulsing brakes, and you and your brother-in-law pull the rotors and drums to
have them turned, and your bro-in-law takes care of the rotors while you
handle the drums, make sure he gets the little spring on the stock pads
"under" the pad brackets and not on the top! After 3 months with a
horrendous rattle under the front end, excessive brake dust and a soft
feeling pedal, I realized, after looking at another Dak what the problem
was. The spring is meant to be loaded to the bottom of the brackets! Doh!
Things are much quieter now and the brakes feel much better.

Mike G.