New Engloand Vapor Lock

From: MAGNUM S/T (kevinhoegen@email.com)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 09:37:14 EDT

Hey all,

Here in Massachusetts we got hit with a mini heat wave on Wednesday. Until
that point we had been experiencing fall like weather (welcome to New
England). Anyway, I'm drivin on the pike Wednesday on my way home and saw at
least 12 cars off the side of the road...intermittingly througout the pike.
At first I thought people were simply overheating...but apparently in our
area they put seasonal additives in the gasoline during the winter to
encourage vaporization of the gas )I believe its similar if not the same as
alcohol)....but when summer hits, they remove this additive. Unfortunately
the mini heat wave hit 'prior' to this seasonal gasoline changeover and many
cars were experiencing "vapor lock". My understanding is if too much
gasoline is in vapor form in the line, it results in trapped air in the
lines...which prevents the fuel from flowing.

To be honest I never heard of this before.....so I fiugred I'd post it to
get some feedback

--
Kevin
http://webpages.charter.net/khoegen