Re: Re: Re: Checking u-joints?

From: John (jkp61@horizonview.net)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 09:25:06 EDT

 As Aaron said, as long as your wheels are turning, the driveshaft is
turning, but when you push in the clutch it does take the pressure off of
the driveline. It is possible to get a squeak from the u-joints, especially
if all of the grease has dried up out of them. Make sure when you buy the
new u-joints they have grease fittings. That will usually take care of a lot
of problems as long as you keep them greased, just don't overgrease them and
blow the little rubber seals. A few pumps on the grease gun handle is
usually enough. All of the older vehicles had grease fittings everywhere, it
seemed anyway, but between people not wanting to have to maintain their
vehicles and the parts manufacturers wanting to make sure that they could
sell more parts the grease fittings slowly went away. I noticed that on my
'96 there are functional fittings though, so I guess they got smart and are
starting to use them again, on some vehicles anyway. Well, good luck, hope
that fixes it.
Take Care & Keep On Truckin'~~~~~John
   <<'96 Dakota Sport 4x4, 3.9L 5spd>>