Re: Tranny Torque Specs--Please Help!

From: jkp (jkp61@horizonview.net)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 11:51:18 EDT

  You are talking about the 4 small bolts that hold the converter to the
flex plate, right? If so, 55 ft lbs is too much. I don't remember if they
are 5/16 or 3/8 thread, but I just always elbow torqued everything unless it
was head gaskets or something important like that. Still according to the
bolt charts, a 3/8 thread bolt's torque is about 35 ft lbs. and I think the
5/16 is about 25 ft lbs. So 55 ft lbs would definitely strip them out. I am
not really sure on the other ones, but to be sure you could just compare the
bolt size to a torque chart, or do like I would do and just get them
guutenntight!!!;-)
Take Care & Keep On Truckin'~~~~~John
    <<'96 Dakota Sport 4x4, 3.9L 5spd>>