RE: RE: O/T: GM HEI woes

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 10:03:34 EDT

Mike,

Grab a spare spark plug and plug it into one of the plug wires...lay the
plug on the exhaust manifold (or headers), turn the key to the START
position and see if a spark jumps the electrode (helps if you have an
extra person watching the spark or turning the engine over). If you
don't see a spark...it's either a bad coil, coil button (under the
coil), or bad module. Make sure you check for 12V at the distributor
though.

Yes...I used to run the Accel HEI on my old BB Chevy. I had too many
problems with that model (back in 1990) so I swapped it for the DUI HEI
Unit (http://www.performancedistributors.com/). Unless you're twisting
5500+ with your engine, there's no need for the MSD unit (it's a VERY
nice piece though). The DUI units can also be custom curved to your
engine...just let them know what mods (cam/heads/intake/etc.) if
applicable.

- Bernd