Re: Gibson

From: Paul Macey (pmacey@ans.net)
Date: Sun May 05 2002 - 18:29:38 EDT

On Sun, 5 May 2002 Pukeloser@aol.com wrote:

> Gibson mufflers are flow-through, that is to say they are basically just a
> straight piece of pipe with holes in it and a casing around that with some
> minimal noise baffling, if your current exhaust is too loud the gibson will
> be way too loud, a gibson is as close as it gets to having no muffler at all.
> I run a 95 318 with Thorley headers and Y-pipe(3"), no cat, and a 3" gibson
> exhaust system from the header Y. It is way loud, I have even gotten a ticket
> for defective exhaust. I got out of the ticket but had to go to court to do
> it (pain in the ass). I also dont think my neighbors appreciate my exhaust
> note like I do.
>
> John S

You're one of the few people I've ever seen post that Gibson is too loud,
most I've read detail how disappointed the owners are of Gibson exhausts
being too quiet or melow.

FWIW, I have a Flowmaster SUV 50 Series Performance muffler on my 2001 4.7
with dual 2 1/2 inch mandrell bent pipes dumping into 4 inch 'megaphone'
tips, and hell, doesn't it sound great!