Re: Online Buying Service

From: Ray (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 23:39:19 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve" <jsm@hardynet.com>

> I'm sure some on this list have used one of the online buying services
> for buying their truck. I may be in the market soon to buy a new truck
> myself. Any tips or hints as to which service you preferred? Anything
> I should look out for? TIA
>
> Steve

Here's something to consider. We just got a new Stratus R/T sedan for my
wife. I researched the car, decided what options we wanted, priced it at
Edmunds.com and used their connection with Autobytel to get a quote from a
dealer. The dealer answered the next day and offered $100 over invoice
whether we took one from the lot or ordered it.

Well, I thought since that was so easy, maybe some other dealer would do
even better. So I went to Dodge.com and sent Requests for Quote to 5
dealers within a 50 mile radius. One wrote back with a quote AT invoice, 2
never responded and 2 others tried to **** with me and basically just waste
my time. I told them to give me a quote or leave me alone. They left me
alone.

There was no haggling, no struggles and no BS. I placed my order with the
dealer who offered the car at invoice. Car arrived 3 weeks to the day
from when I ordered it. Total time spent at the dealer, ordering it, then
picking it up, was about an hour. Couldn't have been smoother. Edmunds
has lots of info as well and explains a lot of terms. I've used this same
method on my last two vehicles with the same results.

One more tip. If you make a deal at invoice or invoice plus, always ask to
see the ACTUAL invoice that came with the vehicle. The preliminary info
dealers have about invoice has always been higher than the actual invoice.
Beware.

Hope this helps.
Ray
"I used to have a handle on life, but it broke."