Re: Head Gasket Question

From: Michael Clark (dml@mikesdakota.com)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 22:51:08 EDT

> Hi All,

> Since I have owned my truck, I have noticed a burnt anti freeze smell. It
> gets stronger as the truck warms up. I have also noticed that the reservoir
> next to the radiator seems to dry up, no matter how much I fill it. Is this
> normal, or do I have a bad head gasket? If neither, can someone shed some
> light on it for me.

> Thanks

Brian, my parents '98 Durango did this and I finally
found that it was the thermostat housing gasket had a
very slow leak in it. When I finally found it, it
looked like this:

http://www.mikesdakota.com/durango/tstat.jpg

A lot of cleanup and a new gasket and the problem is
solved.

 --Mike www.mikesdakota.com